Powered By Blogger

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Not meant to be

I am really upset today because I no longer have any chickens. I had 5 little hens and a rooster last year and was getting 4 or 5 eggs a day and had the privilege of listening to the little rooster crow every morning. They were bantum/cornish mixes so even with their wings clipped they could fly so I had covered their area with chicken wire but even then they would fly up into their tree and roost at night and fly down on the wrong side of the tree each morning and I had to go out and let them back into their yard and feed and water them. Two of the little red hens started setting on about a dozen eggs and had little chicks, they shared the mom duties and everything seemed to go ok until problems began about 6 weeks ago. I was keeping Jill's dog Trixie, she is a doxie min pin mix, a doxie with extremely long legs and is adhd without the ritilan. She dug under the fence and frightened the chickens almost to death one died and a few of the babies never made it back to the pen. One by one the little chicks disappeared, I thought it might be a coon or a possum. Last week something frightened one of the little hens, the one that was still laying eggs and she flew over the 8 foot privacy fence into the back yard and a big golden retirver I was keeping for a friend, killed her. This morning I went into the barn lot to feed the 2 hens and a rooster that was left, since Big Jim the rooster had not been crowing, I was a little worried. When I got to the chicken yard there were no chickens but a neighbors border collie was in the barnlot with feathers in his mouth I chased him out and looked for maybe one little one that may have gotten away, none was found. I guess that I was not meant to have chickens and enjoy that little crowing rooster. I will have to buy my organic eggs and not see the little hens mothering the chicks. I feel very sad that I did not protect my little brood.

No comments:

Post a Comment