Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Chapter 4-my life

When the Norfork Dam was completed, it was time to move back near grandpa's house. Daddy bought a farm, 300 acres, with a two story log house, 2 barns, a smokehouse and a well house. Now we had a well for water and lots of land, 3 miles from the highway.
We moved in a large Campbell 66 truck. In the front part of the truck was the furniture and in the back of the truck the animals were transported. My dog and I rode in the moving truck and Daddy followed in his truck with the rest of the family. The place was really, really rural.
We soon had several cows, a herd of sheep, lots of chickens, pigs and a couple of mules. It was a 3 mile walk to school and when it became time for high school at the highway we caught a bus and rode the bus 16 miles to school.
I milked a lot of cows, fed a lot of livestock and one of my jobs was to move the sheep from pasture to pasture and since there were not a lot of cross fences, I had to watch them graze. This was another opportunity to read, books were not plentiful but I read Daddy's murder mysteries, the grit, western stories and someone had left a few books so I fell in love with a book "The Crisis" a historical novel. I have never forgotten it and it gave me a love for history. I loved the time with the sheep when I could read and imagine myself to be anywhere I wanted to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment